Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sydney the Activist

School pictures were this week. They sent home the info. and I was a bit annoyed with the way they are doing them this year. In the past they sent home the largest package of pictures so you could see what they looked like then you kept what you wanted and sent the rest back with payment. I'm sure this went well (sarcasm)! This year they want you to pay in advance of them even taking the picture and the package prices went up again and you have to pay for any background except gray (the gray is ugly, and isn't blue the accepted "standard" background anyway?!). They aren't even sending a proof home to see? Ridiculous! So I decided I wasn't even going to mess with school pictures this year and would just go up to Walmart and get them done. When I explained to the girls why they wouldn't be getting all dolled up for picture day Sydney told me that I should write a letter to the school to complain. Frankly, it's not that important to me so I hemmed and hawwed and basically blew her off about the letter.

Well, after her homework was done that day she sat down with pencil and paper and started writing a letter of her own. It started out "Dear Skool" and said that it wasn't right that we couldn't see the pictures before buying them and what if we didn't like them, etc. Very cute, but I figured she'd forget about it by bedtime.

The next day when I showed up to sign in at the office in order to help in the classroom the office staff informed me that she had delivered that letter this morning. They all loved it and thought she was the most adorable thing ever. The teacher even kept the letter to use in her writing grade!

No comments: