Friday, July 01, 2005

Baby Dolls

Just the last couple of weeks my almost 2 1/2 year old twin girls have started being little mommies. First they started wanting me to tuck in their teddy bears at night when I tucked them in. Then they would bring their teddy bears down to the living room with them and lay them down on the couch, cover them up, turn off the lights and say "Shhh! Nap time." Next they even started wanting to make Lego beds for their little plastic Care Bear figurines and use washclothes as blankets for them to go "night night". At this point I decided maybe we should get some baby dolls. Nana had bought them Cabbage Patch dolls around Christmas, however they are kinda big for a 2 1/2 year old to play baby doll with so off to Toys R Us we went. I couldn't believe the number of dolls available and I immediately became overwhelmed and the girls just started grabbing everything. One thing I found strange was that none of the smaller dolls had clothes you could buy seperate for them only the larger (read: bigger than I wanted) dolls had different outfits you could buy. So we ended up not buying anything there, I figured I'd check out Wal-Mart and compare prices.

Well, the next day we went over to a friends house who has boy/girl twins the same age as mine for a play date. Sure enough the little girl had a dolly and upon discussion with her mom I found that she had seen the same problem with the dolls not having extra clothes. She suggested the Fisher Price doll as the one she thought was the best. The whole time we were there Sydney monopolized the dolly and was upset when we had to leave it behind. So, off we went to Wal-Mart on the way home. They had the Fisher Price doll and they even had two that came in a set as twins. Perfect. That very night the girls wanted to bring the baby dolls to the table to eat dinner with them, which I do not allow for many reasons, but my girls were adamant that they had to have their dolly's so we compromised by letting them bring the chairs from their children's table into the dining room so that the dolly's could sit next to them. So now I'm tripping over what seems like a million chairs in our already small dining room, but the girls are so cute with those baby dolls . . . feeding them bottles, sharing their food, shopping with them in their little play shopping cart . . . that it makes me remember that they are already growing up so fast and this too shall pass.

No comments: