Monday, July 07, 2008

Don't say uhm

My husband has made me aware of a strange quirk I have developed. It seems that I often ask him two questions back to back that should be yes or no answers but then they would have apposing answers.

Understand? No? Me either, at first.

Here is an example: I will say to him "Do you want another drink?" followed right away by "Are you done?" So any way he answers will be confusing. If he says "yes" I then have to qualify "Yes, you are done, or yes you want a drink." Or I'll ask "Are you coming to bed?" then "Are you staying up?"

Seems I do this a lot. Since he told me about it I have noticed how often I do this and I have tried to stop and I just can't. What is with that? It reminds me of when I had to do an oral report in school and right before starting someone says "Remember, try not to say uhm." Then of course the whole report is like "uhm, uhmidy, uhm". You try not to do something and just end up doing it more.

No comments: