Thursday, June 19, 2008

Toenail Saga Take 2

The last couple of days my recently doctored toe (see previous post) has been looking a little red and not right. Today I called my Primary Care Manager to get an appointment since I knew there was an ice cubes chance in hell of me getting an appointment with the Podiatrist within the next decade and my toe would fall off before I could see them so . . . the PCM got me in at 12:45. I hate calling the appointment line because every single time you have to give them soo much information and the worst part is you know it is on the computer right in front of them once you give your name but instead of just asking if your information has changed they make you recite it all back to them. I know all the questions they ask by heart and could just blurt it all out as soon as they answer, but that seems rude so I try to patiently go through it all even though I feel like I could choke them through the phone line! Here it is: Last Name (spell it because ours has a different spelling), First Name (spell it too because no one ever spells it right), Yes the appointment is for myself, Hubby's SSN last 4, Home address (including city and zip since they handle a large area of patients), and phone number then you tell them why you need the appointment.

So, they confirm the time and then add on that "no children are allowed." Seriously? Now you have to understand that I'm not going here for some gynecological exam or surgery. The doctor is going to come in the room, look at my toe for maybe 5 seconds tell me he will put in a prescription for some antibiotics, confirm that I have no known allergies and leave. Total time if he is not the chatty type is about 3 minutes. For this I should hunt up a babysitter to pay for 2 hours (adding in my drive and wait time), I think not. Also understand that this is a military facility. They know that most of us move every couple years, probably do not live near family, and our husbands are on ships and not able to just run home so we can hit the doctors office. Add to this that I am a stay at home mom with very few friends, no daycare, and my kids aren't in school yet. Gee, guess what? I'm totally blowing this rule off. And if anyone dares say a word to me about bringing my kids they are going to get an earful trust me on that! Luckily no one said anything, and in fact the doctor even commented on how well behaved my girls were (thank goodness).

BUT . . . just so my life isn't too easy the pharmacy at my regular clinic is closed so I have to go to another base I've never been to on the other side of the next town to fill my prescription. Oh the joy.

No comments: