Saturday, May 10, 2008

Are we there yet (kids version)

I think every mom and dad in the history of the world dreads the question "Are we there yet?" being yelled from the backseat of their vehicle. Not because the question is so hard to answer, after all it is always "NO!" because by the time you actually get there they have finally given up asking "Are we there yet?" after having asked 5 trillion times, but you dread hearing it because you know it is just the beginning of the end. I have to say that so far my girls haven't been too bad about this even though we have driven half way across the country a few times and really I give most of the credit for surviving these trips to the DVD player we have in our van. Truly, I cannot imagine how parents ever survived without bouncy seats for babies and DVD players for the car for any age. But on to my story.

The other day we packed up to take a trip to Wal-Mart which is approximately 2 miles from our house. Regardless of the fact that it is so close, getting ready to go is a huge undertaking for my two little pack rats. They feel they must pack a drink, a snack, writing instruments, a note pad and at least one doll type toy before we can go. On this particular day Sydney had chosen a small baby doll to bring and Savannah had decided not to bring anything (wonder of wonders). So we get going and are on our way. Halfway there I hear Savannah using her dolly voice (those with girls know that dolls must speak in a high voice using the octave nearest that to breaking glass). She is having the dolly say "Are we there yet?", to which Sydney replies in her mommy voice "Not yet dear", after which she asks again "Are we there yet?" and Sydney again replies "Not yet dear". This continued the rest of the way to the store which was partially annoying and partially so funny I had to call my mom right then to tell her what they were doing and have a good laugh about it.

No comments: