Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Dedicated Veterinarian Assistant

Happy Mother's Day to me. Since the hubby was out to sea I was lucky that he at least got to call me today, so that was a nice surprise. I also heard from my mother and we had a nice long chat about pretty much everything under the sun. We talked about my dads health (seems a little better), her plans for putting in a drip system to water the numerous plants surrounding her house, I told her a funny story about S & S, and she told me about her latest cat health issues.

Yes, you read it right, cat health issues. My mother has 3 extremely neurotic house cats, plus a stray tomcat she started leaving food outside for recently. She tried to tell me that the tomcat wasn't hers really but she was just feeding him once in a while so he wouldn't starve, but I had to call her on that little delusion because she had named him. I explained to her that you cannot name a cat and then try to say that it is not yours. As for the neurotic cats here is the breakdown: Sammy is possibly bulimic, Max has potty issues, and Chelsea has some sort of kidney or liver thing that makes her not want to eat.

Chelsea is the one that is seriously sick, although she is still pretty spry, and my mom is constantly trying to get her to eat. She eats a special high protein food that is kept refrigerated and is brought out at the slightest provocation to try and temp her to eat and when she is being really difficult my mom even drains juice from cans of tuna and "dopes" up the food with that. Anyway, mom said that lately she had been having an even harder time than usual getting Chelsea to eat and so she had asked the Vet. assistant when she went in to get some more food if she could think of any other tricks to get her to eat. Turns out that another brand had recently started making a high protein food and this woman suggested she try that. As they were talking the vet assistant said "we tasted them and this one tastes much better than the brand you use". To clarify, we are not talking about hard, dry, cat food, this is the canned, moist stuff. My mom said she didn't really hear the rest of the conversation she had with the woman because she was just flabbergasted by what she had said about tasting the cat food. EEEEEWWWWW!

That is one dedicated veterinarians assistant.

No comments: