Friday, May 16, 2008

Beach Tranquility

We've had a few nice days thrown in there lately between the tornado warnings and thunder storms. Every chance I get I have been getting over to the beach. Part of the reason I have been going so much is because I realize that later in the summer when it really gets hot I am not going to want to go because it will be too miserable. The other reason I have been going so often is that it is just so soothing to me.

We live just a few blocks from the bay and a fairly nice beach so we have been able to walk over. The girls always want to drive so they were asking me the other day "Why do we have to walk?" and I surprised myself by saying that I enjoyed the walk, and I actually meant it. It is short enough that I don't get crazed and annoyed with them for dawdling so, but long enough that we get to look at all the yards on the way and look at the flowers and birds and squirrels. Then when we get to the beach I can sit on my butt and read to my hearts content with the sound of gentle waves in the background while the girls amuse themselves with collecting shells, playing in the water or building sand castles. They are old enough now that I don't have to be constantly chasing them around and they can entertain themselves mostly.

The best part though is that I can tell it makes my whole day better. I find I have more patience and am a little easier going. The beach seems to give me some tranquility that I haven't felt for a long time, maybe since I had kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I admit it. I do have a huge case of beach envy!