Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sleep Deprived

You would think that now that my girls are not babies any more I should be getting a decent nights sleep these days. You would think. Sadly this is not necessarily the case. There are several reasons for this phenomenon that I shall outline below.

  • First I have to accept that in one more way I am turning into my mother. As long as I can remember she has been a raging insomniac. While I am not raging yet, I am starting on the path. I find myself up until 12 or 1 in the morning whereas I used to hit the pillow already asleep at 10. Before the girls were born it was a common occurrence for me to be in bed an hour or sometimes 2 before the hubby, now it has totally flipped. Sometimes I think it is because I just love the solitude that I get when everyone else is asleep, but other times I miss being able to sleep so easily because I really love to sleep!
  • I've found that there are actually a few good things about the hubby being gone. One of those things is that I get the whole king size bed to myself (sort of), which is heaven for several reasons. Frankly I cannot imagine how anyone can sleep on any bed smaller than a king, but that is because I have other issues too. You see the hubby is a cover hog. Yes, he is. He will deny this with his dying breath, but since I wake up several times a night I know the truth. But, on top of the fact that he is a cover hog he also has an accomplice. THE DOG! If I break down the bed into percentages here is how it works out: Hubby=55%, Dog=25%, Me, 20%. Add into this equation that once the dog lays down there is no moving him, which effectively traps the covers and you see that I definitely get the raw end of this deal. Heaven forbid I should want to change sleeping positions. It takes some major contortions to situate my legs around the dog, who is complete dead weight, and get the covers back over me.
  • Last night was especially fun. For once I was actually ready to go to bed at about 11. So we get in bed and right when I am falling asleep hubby starts tossing and turning and says "I can't sleep." Thanks for waking me up to tell me that!
  • A few hours later I had the added joy of being woken up by Savannah because she had wet the bed. Since she just started wearing panties to bed and this is the first accident I wasn't too upset, but it was just one more interruption.

Maybe tonight will be better. I can hope.

No comments: