Sunday, May 18, 2008

This Dog Can Tell Time!



He is staring at me like this right now because he knows it is almost 8 o'clock and that is when he gets fed his dinner. Some days, lets make that most days, he is the bane of my existence.

As soon as I set foot out of bed in the morning he wants to be fed. To ensure that I don't forget (as if I could) he follows me around at a prance making little clik-clak noises with his claws on our hardwood floors at no further a distance than 10 inches at all times until I do feed him.

While the girls eat breakfast he paces behind their chairs because he knows that sooner or later something will fall due to the fact that they are the messiest eaters in the world (see previous post). If anyone should make the mistake of leaving food unattended for more than 5 seconds anywhere that he can reach it that is too damn bad because it will be his.

At lunch it is the same scenario. I feed him a "snack" at about 3 o'clock because then he will eat that and go outside at my insistence for a little bit while the girls usually have a snack and this saves my floor from the pacing a little bit. He usually starts giving me "the look" (as seen above) and dogging my heels at about 2 o'clock.

Dinner is usually the same scenario, unless the hubby is home and then he will sit 3 feet from him and drool while watching us eat dinner. I started feeding him his dinner at 8 o'clock for purely selfish reasons. We used to feed him around our dinner time, but there is usually too much going on and having him right on my heels and tripping over him and two 5 year olds in the kitchen while trying to make dinner wasn't working for me. Gee, I wonder why? So I started off feeding him after I got the girls to bed when things were calm but once again couldn't stand him being my shadow while trying to get pj's, supervising tooth brushing, and making sure everyone has gone to the potty so it got changed again. It got moved to when I start to get the girls ready for bed because then he will go outside for a bit to do his business and not pester me to distraction.

Talk about training your humans, he is a master.

So what redeeming qualities does he have you may ask. He is just so darn cute. He is very mellow and allows the girls to do a myriad of things to him, including, but not limited to: tucking his ears in his collar, dressing him up with necklaces, veils, and sunglasses, pretend walking him on his leash in a circle around our house, teasing him with food, and using him as a foot rest. He is a good vacuum for the things dropped by my messy eaters. And mostly because he snuggles with me in bed when the hubby is gone.

No comments: